Thursday, September 15, 2011

Holy tomatoes!

Today's weather was glorious: gray, a little breezy (but not bad), and, this morning, drizzly. It's fall! (I know, some of my fellow Western Washingtonians probably would like to kick me right now, but I can't help it, I'm excited the heat has left us!)
I decided to celebrate by cooking a meatloaf for dinner (using our own grass-fed Highland beef, of course!). We threw a couple of potatoes in the oven alongside, and then Paul decided to check the garden for tomato progress. I didn't think much of it since I was out there a few days ago and saw nothing but big green guys.

But look what Paul found:

We can't remember what all we planted, unfortunately. I wrote it down somewhere but have misplaced the note, and the crazy tomato plants have grown far beyond where we tucked in their tags. The giant one on the left is a 'Brandywine' and the dark one on the right is 'Black Prince', but the ones in the middle are mysteries to us at this point. We planted 'Stupice' and 'Siletz', both new to me (I think these might be 'Siletz' based on their small size). We also planted 'Oregon Spring' - which did fabulously in our 2009 garden and tasted fantastic, and a few others I can't remember.

We'll probably attempt to corral the rowdy plants under a hoop house to keep the rain off and the heat in a little bit in hopes that we get more tomatoes to ripen. This really is an unexpected and exciting development in our ho-hum garden!

1 comment:

  1. Those mystery 'maters look a lot like my stupices. They are one of the few varieties that I grow every year. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you have to say. Thanks for visiting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails