Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chill Out

Yesterday was the first day of fall, and, remarkably, the weather reflected it perfectly! I'm used to coming home after work, throwing on a t-shirt and my hot pink faux Crocs, and making my way to the barn/paddock for cow combing and egg-gathering. Yesterday I did the same, but I was FREEZING! I gave the chickens some extra shavings to help generate more warmth and shut the barn window for the first time in three or more months. The cows can take it, and in fact probably like it. They were both spunky as ever, especially when Paul decided they needed a "treat" of a little grain. Sheesh, ever see a manic cow? Yeah, scary, as I'm sure you can determine. Paul shut himself in the enclosed barn stall by way of the sliding wooden door, and I swear Sheila was doing her best to open it with sheer brain power and will alone. She was truly stalking him.

The night was clear and by the time I headed out to retrieve Tom for the night (he has to sleep in the house at night...we don't want coyotes to get him), it was truly cold! I had to run in for my jacket.

This morning our outdoor thermometer read 32 degrees and there was some frost on the dog kennel and on my car. Amazing. I'm wearing my first sweater of the season, a yummy chocolate cashmere number. Warmth!

Now we just need to service the pellet stove so we can enjoy our dinner with the coziness of a fire! Fall is my favorite time of the year, and yes, I know that means rain...in fact, we're expecting rain tomorrow and Thursday. I don't care...I just got my new Mountain Hardwear jacket thanks to the warranty on my old one, so I say, "Bring it on!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you have to say. Thanks for visiting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails